When the Princess wields Her Royal needles, she often does so to muzak. After all, it’s only rock and roll. And knitting. Or crochet. Or what have you.
With that in mind, may We present the unofficial Princess Animal Playlist:
1. The Beautiful South, Woman in the Wall: This is a sweet little ditty about a man who kills his wife and inters her body in the wall. Sample lyric: “She knitted him a jumper with dominos arms, and he wore it every day and every week. Pretended to himself that she hadn’t really gone…pretended that he had some type of grip…but then the rotting wall began to drip.” It’s the boyfriend curse taken to extremis! Knit your man a sweater, and he won’t just break up with you. He’ll kill you. How’s that for gratitude?
2. Mewithoutyou, In a Sweater Poorly Knit: I don’t really know this song, but I like the title, and I like it’s intensity. But oh, a sweater poorly knit. No worries, the knitter will get better next time!
3. The Knitters, Wrecking Ball: Obviously, anything by the Knitters works here. And John Doe, if you’re reading this (which I’m sure you are), contact the Princess and we’ll do a revival Craft-In and bring the Knitters back to life!
4. Throwing Muses, Shimmer: In her excellent autobiography, Rat Girl, Kristin Hersh talks about how a portion of her audience always knitted. Rad. That’s what the Princess does at rock shows, for realz.
5. Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Sock it to Me, Baby: This song is so awesome and so sexy, you just got to make some rocking socks to it.
6. Massive Attack, Unfinished Sympathy: How many projects do you have laying fallow on your needles? Baby, the Princess feels for you.
7. Archie Bell & the Drells, Tighten Up: Obviously, this song is about gauge. Tighten up, but don’t you get too tight. Timeless advice.
8. Donovan, Season of the Witch: You really do have to pick up every stitch.
9. Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit: We don’t know what all this talk of pills is, but it’s pretty clear to us this song is about the fluffy joy of knitting with angora.
10. Weird Al Yankovic, Patterns: Yup, he sings a song all about patterns. He loves them with a psychotic zeal. According to him, he’s got quite the flair for… patterns.
Come on! Add to the Princess Animal playlist. What do you think is the perfect song to craft to? Add yours in the comments, little rockers!
And just so’s you know, the fabulous knitted fender guitar was created by is by Sarah Stollak, and you can find it right here. Crazy awesomeness.